Friday, December 26, 2014

SIN IN THE CHURCH: Anti-semitism at Christmas Midnight Mass

In  the  brief  blurb  on  myself  for  this  website,  I  say,  "I  try  to  be  positive."

However,   sometimes  the  administrators  of  our  Church  fail  so  gigantically  that  we  absolutely,  positively  have  to  go  after  them,  "hammer  and  tongs,"  just  for  the  sake  of  God's  Church.

In  the  past,  I  have  publicly   blasted  the  bishops  and  priests  on  the  Church  for  running  a  50-year-long  operation    in  which  bishops,  with  written  recommendations,  would  send  priests  known  to  the  bishops  to  be  highly  promiscuous  boy-grabbing  gay  wolves  to  unwary  parishes  where,  again  and  again  and  again,  they  would  grab  and  seduce  new  young  male  victims  and  engage  in  anal  and  oral  copulation  with  them.

Well,  it's  time  to  go  after  them  for  something  else.

By  focusing-in  on  the  sins  of  Peter,  the  New  Testament  prepares  us  for  the  fact  that  the  leaders  of  God's  Church  would  be  the  same  kind  of  evil  morons  who  end  up  running  everything  else.

But  sometimes  these  guys  just  make  you  want  to  scream.

I  am  Roman  Catholic,  of  course,  but  my  wife  is  Jewish.

Years  ago,  before  the  Church  dissolved  St.  Gregory's  Parish  in  Magnolia,  New  Jersey,   the  pastor  Msgr.  Edward  Korda,  knowing  that  I  have  a  Jewish  wife,  put  his  hand  on  my  shoulder  one  Sunday  as  we  prepared  for  Sunday  Mass  in  the  sacristy  (where  I  was  his  lector)  and  came  close  to  me  and  in  a  furtive  manner  and  with  a  quiet  voice  he  said  something  like,   "Do  you  think  that  the  Church  can  survive  with  so  many  damn  Jews  running  so  many  of  our  social  institutions?"

I  was  astonished.  I  thought,  "This  guy  left  his  brains  back  in  Nazi  Germany!"   

When  the  Church  is  even  a  little  bit  anti-semitic,  it  connects  itself  to  this  achievement  of  the  European  Christians  who  went  along  with  the  Nazi  program ...






I  answered,  "Monsignor,  do  you  really  think  that  I  am  going  to  conspire  with  you   against  my  Jewish  wife,  her  Jewish  family,  and  the  Jewish  community?    Nope.  After  Mass,  I'm  going  home  and  tell  her  what  you  just  said  to  me!"

Well,  it  just  happened  again.

At  midnight  Mass  on  Christmas,  2014,  Fr.  Mark  Cavagnaro,  pastor  of  Our  Lady  of  Hope  Church  in  Blackwood,  New  Jersey,   gave  a  homily  on  how  the  coming  of  Jesus   in  the  humble  context  of  a  manger  in  the  rural  outskirts  of   Bethlehem   is  analogous  to  the  marvelous  Eucharist  in  the  humble  appearances  of  a  little  wafer  of  bread  and  wine.

He  introduced  that  subject  with  what  I  call  "a  two-gift  skit."  In  his  little  one-man  "skit,"  he  had  two  wrapped  "gifts."    One  was  a  beautifully  wrapped  box,  that  contained  only  a  pencil.  The  other  was  a  cloth  bag,   that  contained  a  marvelous  gold  watch.

Here  is  how  his  "skit"  began,  as  best  as  I  can  describe  it ...

"Look!"  he  said,  "Here  are  two  gifts  just  given  to  me,  in  this  box  and  in  this  bag!    Let  me  open  them,  right  here,  at  Mass!    First,  I  have  this  beautifully-wrapped  box.     The  wrapping  paper  is  wonderful.  In  fact,  I  think  that  the  colors  of  the  wrapping  paper  on  the  box  look  like  the  colors  of  Hannukah!"

And  then  he  opened  the  box  and  what  was  inside?     "A  pencil,"  he  said  with  a  disappointed  tone  of  voice  as  he  held  up  the  pencil.

In  other  words,  Jews  are  cheap,  and  he  got  the  pencil  from  a  cheap  Jew.  I  and  my  wife  and  our  children  all  heard  it  and  apprehended  his  meaning.    I  thought,  "What???!!!   WHAT???!!!    Has  he  flipped???!!!   What  is  he  doing,  inserting  anti-semitism  into  a  Christmas  homily???!!!"

Here  is  the  kicker:   As  Fr.  Cavagnaro  publicly  implicitly  reviled  Jews  to  a  church  packed  with  about  1,000  Catholics  attending  Mass,    apparently  for  no  good  reason  except  the  pleasure  it  gave  him  to  cultivate  hatred  for  Jews,    about  20  yards  to  his  left  my  Jewish  wife  was  sitting  in  the  church  choir,  where  she  had  been  working  as  one  of  Fr.  Cavagnaro's  singers  at  Mass  for  a  year.

She  has  been  doing  this  because  she  loves  God,  she  loves  me,   and  she  loves  people.

In  addition  to  singing  at  Mass  once  a  week,  my  wife  attends  choir  practice  on  Monday  nights,  and  practices  virtually  every  other  night  of  the  week.

My  Jewish  wife's  Catholic  family  and  a  Catholic  daughter-in-law  were  all  sitting  in  the  pews,  watching  proudly  as  she  sang  her  heart  out  for  Fr.  Cavagnaro.

And  then  they  heard  Fr.  Cavagnaro,  like  some  Nazi  supporter,  sneeringly  implicitly  revile  her  and  her  Judaism  out  of  the  blue!

I  felt  like  saying,  "What?    Priests  aren't  emptying  the  churches  out  fast  enough  for  you  with   homosexual  assaults  on  boys?    You  want  to  speed  up  the  exodus  even  faster  with  anti-semitism?"

God  save  us  and  the  Church  from  these  morons  leading  it!

1 comment:

  1. Rise` is getting so good at understanding the way I operate and at trusting in God to make sure that that which appears bad for God's people is frequently turned-around by clever God into becoming a rat-trap for evil that she detected that I didn't say something about that Mass, in my article, on purpose, so that God could do His work. i apologize that I can't tell you about it. here, until I get confirmation that the trap caught the rat.

    ReplyDelete