Wednesday, December 17, 2014

MORALITY: A Sacred Enterprise, and Then a Glimpse of Evil

For  years  I  had  a  client  who  smoked  like  a  chimney.     Of  course,  she  got  lung  cancer.   Bad,  inoperable  lung  cancer.     I  visited  her  in  the  hospital  and  later  at  the  hospice  both  to  do  law  work  for  her  to  prepare  her  Estate  for  her  death,  and  also  to  simply  visit  her.

Because  I  am  a  Catholic,   I  also  try  to  prepare  the  soul  to  see  God  and  be  judged  by  God.   So,  because  the  next-of-kin  was  a  brother  who  hated  her  and  for  whom  she  had  great  hatred,  I   said,  "You  are  about  to  see  God.    There  is  one  thing,  above  all  other  things,  which  God  demands  --  you  can't  go  to  Him  having  hatred  for  anyone.    If  you  can't  do  that  one  simple  thing,  you  lose.  You're  damned.  You'll  burn.

"So,  I  urge  you  to  write  a  letter  to  him,  not  forgiving  him,  but  humbly  begging  him  for  his  forgiveness!"  She  did  so.   It  was  a  well-done  humble  act.

Then  I  called  a  Catholic  priest,  who  heard  her  final  confession  and  gave  her  last  rites.

On  May  1,  2008,  the  hospice  taking  care  of  her  until  she  died  called  and  said,  "She's  dying!"

I  rushed  over  to  the  hospice  and  ran  to  her  bedside,  only  to  discover  that  I  had  missed  the  moment  of  dying  by  seconds.

Because  there  were  no  doctors  in  attendance  and  no  other  visitors  --  her  friends  were  freeloaders  who  had  no  use  for  her  dead  --  the  nursing  staff  asked  me  to  declare  her  time  of  death.    I  checked  her  pulse on  her  carotid  artery   and  on  her  wrist,  and  noted  that  she  showed  no  signs  of  life  at  all,  and  declared  her  dead  that  day  at  11:00  a.m.,  and  that  is  what  was  entered  on  her  death  certificate  --  a  sacred  enterprise  for  an  old  friend.

And  what  happened  with  the  hate-filled  brother?

It  is  a  classic  story  of  evil  possessing  a  soul.    I  forwarded  her  letter  confessing  her  fault  and  begging  him  for  forgiveness  to  his  lawyer,   who  forwarded  it  to  him.

He  responded,  in  effect,  by  "pissing  on  her  grave"!    He  had  legal  control  over  the  family  grave  plot.   He  made  sure  that  she  was  not  buried  next  to  the  mother  she  loved,  and  that  her  grave  stone  was  left  blank.  True  story!

If  I  were  God,  standing  there  --  and  believe  me,  God  was  standing  there  --  I  would  have  smiled  at  her  brother,  and  said  to  him,  "All  she  did  is  come  to  you  on  her  knees,   confess  to  you,  and  beg  forgiveness,  and  you  responded  by,  in  a  way,  abusing  her  corpse.  You  may  as  well  have  pissed  on  her  grave,  as  far  as  I  am  concerned.  Please  explain  to  me  why  I  should  not  damn  you  to  Hell  fire."

At  a  few  points  in  the  Bible,   God  says  some  downright  shocking  things.  The  fiercest  expession  in  this  direction  is  Proverbs  1:26:  "I, in my turn, will laugh at your doom;  I  will mock  you  when terror [at  your  damnation]  overtakes you!"

Whew!   It  is  for  situations  like  I  just  described  that  God,  in  His  perfect  justice,  reserves  such  language!

No comments:

Post a Comment