Thursday, December 18, 2014

MORALITY: One-Half of 1% Say, "Yes! I Am Hell-Bound!"

The  surveys  of  who  thinks  that  they  are  going  to  Heaven  and  who  thinks  that  they  are  going  to  Hell  are  always  very  interesting.

Very  consistently,  about  two-thirds  of  all  people  say,  "Yes!  I  am  going  to  Heaven!"

Very  consistently,  about  one-half  of  1%  of  of  all  people  say,  "Yes!  I  am going  to  Hell!"

The  figures  make  sense.   Evil  is  thoroughly  self-justifying.  That  is  why  it  is  evil.

Years  ago,  as  I  grew  up,  born-againers  became  a  national  religious  phenomenon.  People  would  walk  up  to  me  and  ask,  "Do  you  accept  Jesus  as  your  Lord  and  Savior  and  have  a  personal  relationship  with  God?"

It  occurred  to  me,  after  a  while,  that  among  other  things  the  question  virtually  always  meant,  "I'm  saved.  Are  you?"

I  was  startled  by  this  thought.  "They  KNOW  that  they  are  'saved'???    Is  it  TRUE  that  that  is  what  they  think???"

So,  when  I  was  approached  and  asked  the  born-againer  question,   I  would  respond  with  a  question,   "Do  you  believe  that  you  are  saved?"

Every  single  time,  the  answer  was,  "Of  course!"

A  few  added  something  like,  "If  you  have  doubts,  that  is  a  sign  that  you  may  be  in  trouble!  Watch  out!"

The  reason  why  I  was  startled  at  the  thought  is  that  I  had  always  been  a  Catholic  Bible  reader,   and  I  knew  that  in  Jesus'  Parable  of  the  Pharisee  and  the  Publican,  Luke  18:9-14,  Jesus  makes  it  clear  that  the  one  who  is  obviously  certain  that  he  is  Heaven-bound  is  Hell-bound,  and  that  the  one  who  is  obviously  pretty  sure  that  he  is  Hell-bound  --  and  so  on  his  knees,  shaking  --  is  Heaven-bound.

Read  the  Parable  and  judge  for  yourself.   Who,  between  the  two,  is  going  to  be  the  born-againer  asking  the  question?

So,  in  those  national  surveys,  maybe,  just  maybe,   I'll  seek  out  the  company  of  the  one-half  of  1%  at  the  end  of  time!!!

I  have  a  feeling  that  the  way  to  Heaven  isn't  just  narrow,  but  low:  Only  those  who  are  on  their  knees,  shaking  with  fear,  can  fit  in!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment