Thursday, December 4, 2014

PERSONAL EXPERIENCES: My Meeting with Duck Lady

Back  in  January,  1978,   I  was  in  the  middle  of  a  one  year  sabbatical  from  law  school.  I  took  the  year  off  because  I  was  a  young  man  who  had  a  lot  of  debts,  who  needed  to  get  them  out  of  my  life  and  off  my  mind,  so  that  I  could  pay  more  attention  to  law  work.  I  had  the  opportunity  to  work  two  good  jobs  at  once,  to  pay  off  my  debts  within  the  year.  I  did  so.  And  I  thereafter  aced  the  rest  of  law  school   and  scored  second  highest  in  my  class'  bar  exams.

One  of  the  jobs,  during  my  one  year  sabbatical,  was  a  second-shift  job  at  what  is  now  called  SmithKline  Beecham  Corporation,  at  their  corporate  headquarters  at  15th  and  Spring  Garden  Streets   in  Philadelphia.  I  was  a  pharmaceutical  operator  --  a  "drug  cook"  --   engaged  in  the  manufacture  of  vast  quantities  of  over-the-counter  drugs.

On  January  15,  1978,   it  was  a  cold,  wet  night  as  I  came  home  to  my  apartment  from  my  second  shift  job  at  SmithKline.   I  stopped  by  the  Inquirer  building  on  my  way  down  15th  Street  toward  Market  at  12:30  a.m.  and  purchased  the  earliest   edition  of  the  following  morning's  Inquirer  off  the  loading  docks  in  the  back  of  the  building,   made  my  way  down  to  the  eastbound  side  of  the  subway  station  at   15th  and  Market  Streets,   and  sat  down  on  a  subway  station  bench,  and  read  my  Inquirer  as  I  waited  for  a  train.  When  I  did  that,  there  were  about  20  other  second  shift  workers  standing  or  sitting  around  me,  in  the  station.

Several  minutes  later,  as  I  sat  deeply  absorbed  in  my  reading,   a  wave  of   the  worst  kind  of   smell  of  human  crap  and  pee   filled  the  space  between  my   newspaper  and  my  face.  I  thought,  "What  the  heck ???!!!"

I  put  down  my  paper,  and  to  my  horror,  sitting  on  the  bench  to  my  right,  was  the  world  famous  bag  lady,  Duck  Lady,  who  was  known  for  walking  around  the  streets  of  Philadelphia  quacking,  quacking,  quacking  like  a  duck,  as  she  begged.  But  on  this  occasion,  she  was  sitting  beside  me,  and  I  was  smelling  her  smell  of  crap  and  pee.  It  made  me  feel  like  I  was  standing  in  a  toilet  bowl  after  someone  used  it  but  didn't  flush  it.

At  first  I  looked  around  in  a  panic  for  a  means  of  escape.  I  saw  that  everyone  who  had  been  standing  around  us  on  the  subway  platform   several  minutes  before  had  retreated  to  the  opposite  end  of  the  subway  platform,   and  they  were  all  down  there,  staring  up  at  us,  to  see  what  I  would  do.

That  woke  me  up.  That   abandonment  of  Duck  Lady  as  a  monster  all  should  run  from,  by  those  people  on  the  subway  platform,  shocked  me.   I  thought  to  myself,   "I  am  not  going  to  subject  this  lady  to  the  indignity  of  treating  her  like  a  monster!"  So,  I  forced  myself  to  sit  there  and  breathe  her  smell  of  crap  and  pee.

As  I  did  so,   I  saw  that  in  that  freezing  cold  wet   subway  platform,   Duck  Lady  was  only  wearing  a  thin  damp  nightie  and  slippers,  as  she  convulsed  involuntarily  on  the  bench  beside  me  --  undoubtedly  due  to  Tourette's  Syndrome  --  quacking,  quacking,  quacking.

Did  I  think  of  taking  off  my  warm  winter  coat  and  giving  it  to  her?

No.

As  she  quacked,  Duck  Lady  took  off   one  of  her  slippers  and  held  it  out  toward  me.   I  saw  some  crumpled  dollar  bills  in  it.   I  thought,  "It's  her  'bank'!  She's  begging!"

I  took  out  my  wallet  and  gave  her  the  cash  that  was  in  it.    I  placed  it  in  her  cold,  wet  slipper.  Big  deal,  right?

And  how  did  Duck  Lady  respond?

In  her  personal  cloud  of  crap  and  pee  smell,   she  stopped  quacking  for  a  few  seconds,   and  said  a  prayer  for  me.   She  said,  "May  our  Blessed  Mother  watch  over  you!"

Then,  as  she  relaxed  and  put  her  slipper  back  on  her  foot,   she  resumed  her  relentless  quacking,  quacking,  quacking.

At  that  moment,  a  train  came  along,  and  I  was  happy  to  escape  to  it.   As  the  doors  closed,  I  saw  her  in  her  wet  nightie,  and  I  thought,  "Why  didn't  I  give  her  my  coat?"

Answer:  Because  I  preferred  myself  too  much.

Lesson  to  my  Catholic  brethren:  Give  them  the  coat  off  your  back.

No comments:

Post a Comment