Thursday, December 18, 2014

MORALITY: One More Note on the World's Most Interesting Subject ...

No,  not  sex,  but  rather  "Who  is  going  to  Hell?" ...

Last  night,  at  the  gym,  I  saw  one  of  the  judges  in  our  county.   He  was  on  a  stationary  bike,  reading  a  paper,  so  I  figured  he  could  talk.

"Your  Honor,"  I  smiled  warmly  as  I  shook  his  hand,  "How  are  you  doing?"

We  talked  for  a  few  minutes.   We  got  around  to  the  subject  of  the  article  you  see  below,  entitled  "A  Sacred  Enterprise,  and  a  Glimpse  of  Evil."

He  asked,  "How  do  you  feel  about  the  brother  who  denied  the  sister  the  grave  site  she  wanted  next  to  her  beloved  mother,  and  who  kept  her  gravestone  blank?"

I  answered,  "I  cited  Proverbs  1:26.   In  effect  it  portrays  God  as  laughing  at  some  of  the  damned  as  they  entered  Hell.   Perfect  justice."

The  judge  responded  with  a  classic  answer:   Proverbs  is  Old  Testament.  The  Old  Testament  thinking  was  defective.   The  New  Testament  love  of  Christ  perfected  the  Old  Testament  mistakes.    "What  do  you  think?"

I  said,  "This  is  what  I  think:  If  you  do  this  to  the  New  Testament  salvation  paid  for  by  Christ's  torture  and  death"  --  and  I  turned  and  spat  derisively  to  the  floor  --  "then  you  have  to  face  the  brutal  justice  of  the  Old  Testament  God."

The  judge  looked  upset,   and  said,  "Listen,  I  have  to  get  back  to  my  paper."  And  we  parted.

No comments:

Post a Comment