Friday, July 10, 2015

EVOLUTIONIST OR BIBLE LITERALIST -- EVERY PERSON IN THE WORLD REALLY IS YOUR COUSIN

When  I  was  maybe  13  years  of  age,  I  was  watching  a  1930s  Charlie  Chan  movie  on  black-and-white  TV  when  the  movie  made  reference  to  the  pre-communist  Chinese  penchant  for  tracing  family  lines  by  having  Charlie  Chan  introduce  someone  as  his  "31st  cousin."  

The  concept  of  "distant-cousin-ness"  stuck  with  me.   When  I  was  in  church  or  at  a  stadium  watching  a  football  game  or  other  place  with  a  large  audience,    I  used  to  think  how  cool  it  would  be  if  the  locale  were  plunged  into  darkness, and  God  were  to  first  light-up  all  of  my  first  cousins;  then  all  second  cousins;   then  all  third  cousins;   then  all  fourth  cousins;    and  so  on.

Then  it  dawned  on  me  that   every  living  soul  would  eventually  light  up,    because  literally  everybody   is  one's  cousin.

As  I  came  to  understand  that  there  were  millions  of  people  out  there  who  did  not  ascribe  to  an  evolutionist  understanding  of  world  history  as  we  were  raised  to  think  in  our  family,  who  instead  were  committed  to  a  literalist  comprehension  of  the  time  line  in  Genesis  2  et  seq., it  dawned  on  me   that  that,  irony  of  ironies,   entailed  an  even  closer  relationship   between  people  than  the  evolutionist  perspective.

Why  "irony  of  ironies"?    Well,  though  no  one  has  confirmed  such  to  me  by  admission  or  by  way  of  some  kind  of  unimpeachable  zillion  dollar  federal  study,    one  gets  that  feeling   from  the  whiteness  of  some  white  churches   that  the  distinctness  of  the  races  is  important  to  a  lot  of  Christian  fundamentalists.  As  one  Christian  fundamentalist  lady  said  to  me  years  ago  when  I  worked  at  Jordan  Kelsall's  Unity-Frankford  Grocery  Store  on  Penn  Street  at  Sanger  Street  in  Frankford,    "Look  at  their  ears!    Look  at  their  noses!   Look  at  their  lips!    Those  blacks  are  monkeys!"  I  gently  responded,  "Aren't  our  [meaning  'whites' ']  lips  actually  closer  to  those  of  a  monkey?   Blacks  are  more  evolved!"   [I  was  just  a  kid  at  the  time,  so  I  didn't  put  up  a  bigger  fight.]  She  gave  me  a  dirty  look  and  stomped  out  of  the  store.

I  thought  it  was  so  interesting,  a  year-or-so  ago,  when  my  Ancestry-com  DNA  sample  verified  that  one  or  more  of  my  family's  slave  owning  ancestors  on  my  mother's  side  had  begotten  offspring  by   one  or  more  African  Americans,  almost  certainly  as  part  of  the  widely-accepted  culture,  in  the  pre-emancipation  South,  of  concubinage  of  female  slaves.  The  implication  of  the  results  obtained,  so  far,  is  that  as  a  consequence  several  hundred  to  several  thousand  blacks  in  the  United  States  are  distant  cousins  of  my  white  family.   

I  would  have  loved  to  have  had  DNA  verification   of  that  silly  fundamentalist  woman's  relationship  to  blacks  --  and  I  would  have  loved  to  have  been  there  when  the  evidence  was  shown  to  her.  I  would  have  said,  "Hey!  Guess  who's  comin'  to  dinner!"

For  me,  the  importance  of  the  DNA  connection  was  that  it  drove  home  how  much  we  are  all  members  of  the  Family  of  Man  --  from  the  blondest  blue-eyed  SS  stormtrooper    to  the  blackest,  most effeminate  gay  Australian  aborigine.  We  are  all  cousins.

That  would  be  a  very  cool  photo:   A  grim-looking  fully-uniformed  blonde-haired  blue-eyed  Nazi  stormtrooper   holding  hands  with  a  short,  very  fat  aborigine  woman  with  a  really  big  Afro.  The  caption  would  read,  "Not  such  distant  cousins."

In  law  school,  I  was  immensely  delighted  to  see  that  one  of  my  textbooks  on  Wills  and  Estates  contained  The  Lawyer's  Table  on  Consanguinity,  the  chart  showing  things  like  what  a  "third  cousin,  once  removed"  is ...



Suddenly,  I  understood  the  system  assigning  a  descriptive  title  to  each  of  my  distant  cousins  --  every  human  being !   [Perhaps  the  most  distant  cousin  would  be  something  like  my  "14,354th  cousin,  117  times  removed."]

The  "bottom  line,"  here?  Literally,   ever  thermonuclear  MIRV  atop  every   ICBM  awaiting  launch  in  every  silo  in  the  world  is  aimed  at  cousins,  only!  

And  when  Muslim  fundamentalists  in  Afghanistan  did  this  to  Bibi  Aisha ...
... they  literally  did  it  to  their  screaming  cousin.

When  Nazis  rammed  as  many  screaming  Jews  as  possible  into  fake  showers  to  gas  them  all  with  Zyklon  B ...

... they  were  ramming  their  cousins  into  those  showers.

Be  nice  to  your  cousins  --  the  Muslims,  the  Jews,  the  blacks,  the  gays,  the  Asians,  the  Latinos,   and  so  on.      All  of  them !

No comments:

Post a Comment