Friday, June 19, 2015

Try the "Prayer Experiment"

Years  ago,  I  joined  the  website  "Ask  an  Atheist"  to  evangelize  to  them.

While  I  was  there,  I  developed  an  on-line  friendship  with  one  of  the  ladies  there.  She  was  a  Lesbian  atheist,    and  at  first  was  embarrassed  by  me,  and  wished  that  I  would  go  away.  But,  she  was  friendly,  and  ultimately  came  to  be  viewed,  in  the  atheist  website,  as  the  member  who  would  talk  with  patience  and  friendship  to  "that  Christ-er  Pete"  who  liked  to  read  "The  Babble."

One  day,  my  atheist  friend  announced  on-line  that  she  had  some  kind  of  personal  problem  chasing  her  down  the  street  like  a  huge,  deadly  junk  yard  dog ...

http://www.sportwaffenk9.com/images/teeth.JPG



She  said  that  the  problem,  which  she  did  not  want  to  describe  on-line,   had  nearly  caught  up  to  her,   and  would  shortly  knocked  her  down  and  rip-out  her  throat.

I  commented,  "Look,   God  doesn't  view  problems  as  problems.    For  God,  your  problem  is  not  a  problem.  It  is  a  talking  opportunity  --   it  is  a  chance  for  relationship.

"I  know  that  you  don't  believe  in  God,  but  you  can't  be  absolutely,  positively  SURE  that  He  isn't  out  there,  in  the  darkness.

"So,  do  this:    First,  say  a  brief  prayer  for  the  strength  to  at  least  have  doubts  about  the  non-existence  of  the  'Unprovable  Loving  One  Who  Might  Be  Out  There  in  the  Darkness.'   You  HAVE  TO  do  this  with  at  least  that  much  faith,  kid,  otherwise  it  just  doesn't  work.    When  you  say  that  prayer,  that  much  faith  WILL  jump  into  your  heart.  I  promise.

"Then,  say  a  single  prayer  for  help  to  the  'Unprovable  Loving  One  Who  Might  Be  Out  There  in  the  Darkness.'   Tell  Him  your  problem,    and  ask  Him  for  help.    Don't  tell  Him  how  to  help  you.  He  doesn't  need  your  instructions.  Just  ask  Him  for  help.

"But  I  want  you  to  do  two  more  things.   First,  I  want  you  to  promise  that  you  will  make  a  public  announcement,  here  in  this  atheist  website,    that  the  prayer  I  am  telling  you  to  pray  worked,  when  it  works.

"And,  I  also  want  you  to  ask  God  to  tell  you  WHEN  your  help  arrives,  that  it  has  arrived.  When  He  tells  you,  you  will  hear  a  voice  jump  into  your  head,  using  your  own  mind's  voice  and  your  own  first  name,    saying,    'This  is  the  help  you  prayed  for,  [name].'

"And  at  that  moment,  your  problem  will  evaporate  magically.     I  swear  this."

She  agreed  to  do  exactly  as  I  instructed.

One  week  later,  my  on-line  Lesbian  friend  posted,  "Everybody,  greetings.    I  am  going  to  keep  my  promise.  I  had  an  utterly  terrifying  problem.   You  all  read  Peter's  advice  to  me.    I  agreed  to  do  what  he  said.  I  did  it.

"Well,  it  worked.  I  did  exactly  what  Peter  told  me  to  do.     When  my  giant  problem  caught  up  with  me,    everything  happened  exactly  as  Peter  said  it  would.     It  was  a  miracle.  I  thought  that  I  was  about  to  die.   But ... the  problem  just ... evaporated.     I  can't  tell  you  more.  All  I  know  is,  the  prayer  worked."

Try  it  yourself.  Give  it  a  shot.

Just  remember  that  God  doesn't  solve  your  problems  to  solve  your  problems.

He  wants  Relationship.

And  there's  no  better  way  to  do  that  than  through  the  Catholic  Church  with  its  sacraments.





No comments:

Post a Comment