Monday, June 22, 2015

An Accidental Witness to an Enormous Illegal Drug Transaction

Somebody  over  in  Facebook  reminded  my  of  the  following.

About  20  years  ago,  I  was  an  accidental  witness  to  one  of  the  world's  larger  illegal  drug  transactions.

One  of  my  Hispanic  in-laws  asked  if  I  would  drive  her  and  her  four  little  children  from  a  residence  in  Cherry  Hill,  New  Jersey  to  their  home  off  5th  Street  near  Lehigh  Avenue  in  Philadelphia.  I  hated  the  house  where  that  kid and  her  children  lived,  because  it  literally  rained  roaches  at  night  in  all  of  the  rooms,  so  that  it  gave  me  the  creeps  just  to  walk  into  it.  But,  the  girl  was  a  courageous  little  soldier,  a  loyal  mother   to  her  4  little  kids,  all  of  whom  she  had  borne  out  of  wedlock  to  worthless  Hispanic  suitors.

I  loaded  the  kids  into  the  back.  Their  mom  drove  in  the  passenger  seat  next  to  me.

We  crossed  the  Ben  Franklin  Bridge  over  to  Philadelphia,  then  went  north  up  95  to  Lehigh  Avenue.  I  drove  up  Lehigh  to  6th  Street,  I  think,  and  then  turned  left  onto  6th  and  proceeded  south.  I  believe  at  6th  and  York  Streets,   I  came  to  a  red  light  and  stopped.

There,  on  the  cross  street  in  front  of  us,  were  two  brand  new  white,  windowless  Ford  Econoline  vans.  One  was  parked  on  each  side  of  the  intersection,   backs  pointed  toward  the  intersection,  back  doors  opened.  It  was  about  5:00  p.m.    There,  right  in  front  of  us,  two  Hispanic  guys  came  out  of  the  back  of  the  van  on  the  right,    each  with  a  Kalishnakov 
 slung  over  his  right  shoulder,  carrying  a  large,  heavy  bale  of  white  powder  wrapped  in  clear  plastic ...

The  two  Hispanic  guys  looked  up  at  me,  through  my  windshield  with  alarm.

All  of  a  sudden,  the  reality  of  my  current  situation  came  crashing  down  upon  my  psyche.

(1)  I  had  accidentally  stopped  in  front  of  one  of  the  larger  illegal  drug  transactions  in  American  history.    These  Hispanic  guys  were  cartel  "soldiers"  with  the  job  of  killing  any  witnesses.

(2)  There  would  be  no  police  around.  They  had  been  paid  off.  Otherwise,  these  guys  wouldn't  be  doing  the  transaction  in  broad  daylight.

(3)  I  had  a  car  with  a  girl  and  her  4  helpless  Hispanic  children  in  it,   and  we  were  all  about  to  die.

As  one  of  the  "soldiers"  began  to  unsling  his  AK  while  he  held  the  bale  with  his  left  arm,  to  machine  gun  my  car,   I  realized  that  I  suddenly  had  the  most  important  job  in  the  world  in  front  of  me  --  keeping  the  girl  and  her  kids  in  my  car  alive.

I  quickly  rolled  down  the  window  on  the  driver  side  door,    and  grabbed  the  shoulder  of  the  Hispanic  mom  next  to  me,   and  yelled,  with  as  much  emotion  as  I  could  find  with  the  purpose  of  making  my  words  sound  like  begging,  "NINITA !!!  NINITA !!!"   ["Little  girl !!!  Little  girl !!!"]  I  grabbed  the  shoulder  of  my  Hispanic  in-law  next  to  me.  I  figured  that  they  couldn't  see  the  four  male  children  in  the  back.

What  is  odd  about  my  use  of  that  word  is  that  earlier   that  day,  at  the  Magnolia,  New  Jersey  post  office,   as  I  was  dropping  off  some  mail  for  my  law  practice,   an  Hispanic  dad  had  told  me  how  to  say  the  word  for  "little  girl"   in  Spanish  --  as  though  God  were  preparing  me  for  that  evening.

The  Hispanic  guy  who  wasn't  unslinging  his  AK  clearly  understood  my  point  --  "I've  got  a  car  full  of  little  folks  whom  you  don't  want  to  shoot !"  --  and  looked  crestfallen.

The  other  one  continued  unslinging  his  AK,    and  he  was  in  the  process  of  leveling  it  at  the  car  as  I  began  to  drive  through  the  red  light,  past  them,   south  down  6th  Street  toward  the  kids'  home.

Deep  in  my  soul,  I prayed  a  prayer  that  the  soldier who understood my  point  would  tell  the  other  to  stand  down.

No  bullets  followed  us.  We  made  it.
_________________

I,  Peter  J.  Dawson,  of  full  age,    hereby  certify  that  the  preceding  allegations  or  fact  are  true  to  the  best  of  my  knowledge,  information  and  belief.  I  am  aware  that  if  any  are  knowingly  falsely  made,  then  I  am  subject  to  punishment.



No comments:

Post a Comment